Rough Seas between Alaska & Japan

“If this boat’s a rockin’, don’t come a knockin.”

No one’s been knocking – not on any door in this ship.  They wouldn’t dare. The night after we left our last Alaskan port, the captain adjusted our course due south to avoid a low pressure area.  We’ve been in rough seas ever since.  We’ve had periods of fairly calm waters, but for the vast majority of the time, the ship’s been rocking so much that even some of the crew are finding it a challenge to walk around onboard.  Some of the crew have even been seen taking video of the large waves, which leads me to believe that these conditions are at least fairly unusual. I’m beginning to think it might have something to do with the typhoon activity near Japan, although we are still only a little more than halfway between Alaska and Japan as I’m writing this post.

Kyle and Kayla are eating lunch in the buffet – the casual dining area that sits right underneath the bridge (the command center on a ship).

The ship’s movement is causing the most disruption in the dining rooms.  The buffet is near the front of the ship and when the bow hits the swell just right, everyone exclaims in surprise as dishes and glasses clatter all over the room.  There have been quite a few people crashing into one another in the busy areas, as they “drunk walk” across the floors, and more than the usual supply of spilled drinks – and not a drop of alcohol involved.  It’s impossible to walk in a straight line.

We’ve had to made some adjustments to our cabin in order to sleep.  The first night, the drawers on both of our nightstands kept opening … and then slamming shut a few moments later.  This happened over and over until Fred finally got up and put towels in the drawers to muffle the noise.  Since then, I’ve used the resistance bands I brought for my physical therapy exercises to keep them closed at night – essentially using them like bungee cords.

This is one way to keep the drawers shut when the ship is rocking so much at night. Next time I just might toss some bungee cords into my suitcase.

We’re going through at least one time zone per day and last night we crossed the International Date Line.  At least we are getting to adjust to the change in time a lot more slowly than the jet lag experienced during plane travel.  Although it’s been a little tougher to sleep at night with all of the rocking, everyone’s been handling it fairly well.  Kayla, Kyle, and Fred are all really glad we picked up Dramamine before we left.  I’ve never been affected by sea sickness.  My biggest complaint is the strange dreams about car crashes and turbulent planes that repeatedly land and take off.  Fred did end up with a nasty cold on top of everything else, so he’s had a harder time than the rest of us.

Fred is not a happy camper when he’s ill.

To cheer everyone up, we dressed up for “formal night” last night so that the staff could see Fred’s amazing suit.  If you’ve been following him on Facebook, you know the one I’m talking about.  Everyone got a kick out of his festive attire as we walked around the ship during the dinner hours.  As you can imagine, he was in his element with all of the attention.  We did get some family photos taken while we were all dressed up.  If we purchase any of them (we see them later today), I will post them on the site.  Until then, here’s a snapshot or two that I took in the buffet area last night.  As it turns out, we didn’t even go to the formal dining room.  We’ve gotten to know the staff in the buffet area really well, so we ended up eating in the casual area anyway 🙂

Fred and Kyle are both making statements in their very own unique ways.

We just had to readjust our course again due to another low pressure area.  We’re now being told that it’s necessary to skip our first port in Japan.  Instead, we’ll have a couple more days at sea and then just go straight to Yokohama.  I think we’re all looking forward to the warmer weather and calmer seas that we’re expecting once we arrive.

4 Replies to “Rough Seas between Alaska & Japan”

  1. Great to hear about your trip to date. The high seas sound scary – so glad you guys aren’t seasick! So sorry About Fred’s cold – hope he’s better by Yokohama. Keep blogging for us, Sabrina. Have a great adventure in Japan! Love to the family. xoxo

    1. Hi! Fred’s doing a lot better now. He was a complete grouch in Tokyo, but we just left him at a coffee shop while we went and did our thing 🙂 The internet has been a true challenge, but I just managed to upload all of the photos from Tokyo, so we should have that post up soon. It’s great to hear from you! I hope you’re doing well.

  2. lol Hi GMoney 🙂 It was crazy there for a few days. Fred still felt like he had sea legs the entire time we were in Tokyo. It’s been mostly smooth sailing since then though. We are truly grateful for the good weather we are getting. We barely missed a typhoon! Oh! And he’s giving the suit away to one of the crew members who fell in love with it!

Comments are closed.